Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bienvenidos a Cambodia!



So we finally made it! I'm in Phnom Penh once again, and ready to get going. The only problem is I can't get going just yet. The past couple weeks have consited of some orientation and acclimation and, for the most part, just waiting.
Classes don't start until the middle of October (possibly later). You may ask, "So why are you there so early?" That's a very good question, and I would answer it by saying my organization does their training based on the earliest semester date. In other words, some teachers in other areas will begin teaching in the next week or so. ELI/C can't do three or four separate trainings. Therefore, those of us who start teaching later in the year come to our respective countries/cities and do things like learn language, get used to the food, set up our living spaces/apartments/houses/what-have-you... We begin to make connections with locals and learn our environment. It's good to have a large space of time in which to do this, but at times it gets really lonely and monotonous. I'm being fruitful with my time, though.



I don't have much time left for this blog, so here is a list of things that have happened since I've been here. I'll try to comment on them individually later. I'm a big fan of lists...

1) Met the Korean staff from my school
2) Had impromptu acupuncture in a public place
3) Joined a French soccer team
4) Played in my first ever soccer match
5) Bought a moto
6) Had a moto accident (not my fault and nothing drastic)
7) Relearned the streets of Phnom Penh
8) Attended a Khmer "service"
9) Memorized the first two-and-a-half chapters of Philippians
10) Created an international incident just by showing up to to local Cambodian gym
11) Went to two birthday parties
12) Eaten a baby duck (it was gross) to prove my manhood (don't know how much I actually proved...)



There's my update. I invite you to check out my photos on phanfare.com. I'm guessing the easiest way to do that, for now, is to either look at my phanfare application on facebook, or to sign in to phanfare directly. I'll try to put a link on here, but such skills are not my strongest. You can always email me at pmeredith@elic.org.

Grace and peace,

Bryant

No comments: